Thursday, November 24, 2011

Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer--Sephora Holiday Prep Kit Review Pt. II

I came into the Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer prepared to be wowed.  As a rule I like Stila products, and while I'm pretty happy with the Laura Mercier TM I'm currently using, I'm not averse to changing things up if I find something better.  Sadly, Stila's TM wasn't quite what I was looking for.

The below shot was taken after 15 seconds of  blending a pea-sized amount of product.  As you can see it blends into my skin tone well, but that's about it.


As far as illuminators go, this is an unimpressive product. It doesn't deliver nearly the punch of  Lancôme Touché Miracle (also included in the set), nor is it as long-lasting as the NARS illuminator in Orgasm that I wear with that blush.  For the most part the illuminating effect (created with what looks like a small amount of micro glitter in the formula) disappears within a couple of hours after application.

As a tinted moisturizer it did an acceptable job. I did need to touch up my t-zone with De-Sick powder twice as the day wore on, but I generally have to do that with most tinted moisturizers.

Overall the Stila is adequate, but just that. My primary issues with the product are that A: I don't want illuminator all over my face, just in specific areas (like on my cheekbones) I'd like to highlight; and B: as an illuminator this TM fails miserably.  I might have been willing to overlook this issue if the product had something else wonderful going for it, but it really doesn't. Zero mattifying, unremarkable SPF (20), and only mediocre illuminating qualities.

At $32 per full-sized tube this is one product that won't go beyond the sample size in my makeup drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment