Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Toss the Gloss! Part Two

In yesterday's post I started looking culling my makeup drawer to clear room for my recent Sephora Friends and Family sale haul.  With only one tossed lipgloss and four saved ones, I'm not sure I did much in the way of making room, though I did rediscover a couple of products I'd misjudged/forgotten about.  On to Part II!

A reminder of the products I'm reviewing:

From the top going down:
  • Bobbi Brown Plum Metallic Lip Color (Party to Go Palette)
  • Bobbi Brown Pretty Pink Metallic Lip Color (Party to Go Palette)
  • Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss in Midnight Violet (Party to Go Palette)
  • Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss--Sheer Color in Lust
  • Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss in Voluptuous
  • Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss in Optimism
Bobbi Brown Plum Metallic Lip Color from the Party to Go Palette

 
This is such a pretty purpley pink gloss that I can't imagine anyone wouldn't like it.  It has just enough color to warm up my otherwise listless lips, and is perfect for really casual days.  Plus, like all of the Party to Go glosses, it's highly moisturizing.

Verdict: KEEP!

Bobbi Brown Pretty Pink Metallic Lip Color from the Party to Go Palette

 
This one is such a light, sheer pink that it's almost nude.  It adds just a hint of color, and like its plum counterpart is perfect for really casual weekends.  I can't say that I'd pay full price for a whole tube of this color, but it's an excellent addition to the otherwise dark Party to Go Palette.

Verdict: KEEP!

Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss in Midnight Violet from the Party to Go Palette

Ugh.  I'm really not sure what happened with this one, but it was a hot mess to apply.  No matter how I worked it, this color wouldn't go on evenly, which resulted in the weirdness you see at the bottom right and top left corners of my lips.  If it wasn't part of such a cute set I'd toss this one immediately, but since I love the rest of the Party to Go Palette my verdict is:

Verdict: Keep--albeit reluctantly

Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss--Sheer Color in Lust

 
This is a gorgeous pinky color with a slight shimmer that came close to being tossed by virtue of its painful, horrible applicator.  I finally used a lipgloss brush instead of the plastic brush applicator that screws into the lid because it was so stiff and unyielding.

Verdict:  Keep for the color, not for the packagaing

Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss in Voluptuous 


I'll say this for Josie Maran--her products aren't sticky, but WOW do they have added scent.  I almost gagged at the overpowering cupcake/vanilla smell of this gloss.  Neither scent is a favorite of mine, and I really have a problem with adding smells to every beauty product.  If I want to smell like something other than soap I'll wear perfume, thankyouverymuch.  This vibrant hot magenta pink really doesn't do anything for my skin tone anyway, so unsurprisingly...

Verdict: TOSS!

Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss in Optimism 




To say that "optimism" was on my mind when I tried yet another Josie Maran gloss would be an understatement.  This shade unsurprisingly has the same scent issues as "Voluptuous" but I quite liked the sheer champagne-colored shimmer of "Optimism."  I just wish it didn't smell!

Verdict: Keep...for now

Overall I looked at 11 different lipsticks/glosses, and wound up tossing only two.  Four more are on the fence for either scent or application issues.  I was hoping to cull more from my lip collection, but am satisfied for now that at least I've refreshed my memory about a few gems in my collection.

Later this week: a look at Sephora's Give Me Some Lip set.  Any gloss colors you're loving lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment