Thursday, October 20, 2011

Confessions of a Nail Polish Newbie

I seem to go in phases with nail polish.  I'll be great about using it for 6-12 months, and then won't touch it again for 4-5 years.  When I started my latest round of nail polish purchases last month I hadn't worn polish in so long that the handful of polishes I still had in the back of my vanity had actually separated.  Ew. 

That said, I've never been a fan of painting my fingernails, just my toes.  Living in the Southwest, I can wear sandals at least 9 months of the year, and love the look of nicely polished toes in my pretty flip flops.  A good professional pedicure can last 2-3 weeks with minimal visible wear, which makes it worth the $25 expense in my book.  Fingernails, though, seem destined for chips within a couple of days.  No matter how much I spend on a professional manicure or fancy polish, chips happen long before I'm ready to move on to another color.

And yet, I really love how nail polish looks on my hands.  A big part of my new beauty philosophy is that time spent on my appearance isn't (as I've thought in the past) wasted time, so I've taken the plunge into painting my fingernails every 3-4 days.  I usually touch up my polish after 24-36 hours of wear, and four days is the longest I seem able to go without major chips.  I'd love to get an extra day of wear out of my polishes, but so far no dice.

So, this is my question to you: what products (base and top coats in particular) work best for your polish longevity?  Below are the products I've used so far and the results of each.  I'm planning to turn this into a weekly assessment of polishes I've been trying, and would love to hear from readers about which polishes you love and hate.

Week of October 17, 2011

Basecoats:
  • Have tried: OPI brand basecoat
  • Result: Failure.  Instead of lasting 3-4 days per application, my polishes started chipping badly less than 24 hours into a manicure.  
Topcoats:
  • Have tried:  OPI for Sephora brand topcoat
  • Result:  This seems to add a day onto my wear time, but no longer.  Frankly, I'm not terribly impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment